Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lennon Riley Schafer

Lennon arrived in this world three weeks earlier than expected. I had just turned 37 weeks on Sunday, which is considered full term, and my water broke at 3:00 Monday morning. Obviously we were caught off guard, especially because the majority of women don't have their water break at the onset of labor. Because of this, we were on a timeline of needing to be in active labor in 24 hours otherwise I would have to be transferred to the hospital (for those of you who may not know, we went to a birthing center).

Talking to my midwife, she wanted me to be progressing a little faster by 3 in the afternoon. So we went to the pharmacy and bought some caster oil. About 15 minutes later, my contractions got stronger. However, I was advised to take another dose of caster oil at 7 last night. About 30 minutes later I was in heavy labor and we headed to the birthing center. Getting there at about 8pm, I was 4 cm dilated. After 4 hours of hard labor, she checked again and, much to our surprise, I was fully dilated. I decided to get in the birthing tub and pushed for about 10 minutes and out popped Lennon at 12:51 am, Tuesday, March 24, 2009, weighing 6 pounds 14 oz, 18.5 inches long.

He was completely healthy and strong throughout the labor and after, as was I (though I didn't feel very strong). Because Lennon and I were doing well after, we went home 4 hours later. Today has been spent trying to get him to nurse (which is a slower process than I would like, but as long as he gets the hang of it and is getting what he needs, that's all that matters), making phone calls, sleeping and resting.

Lennon is such a good baby; he doesn't cry much--he mostly just whimpers, which is unbelievably cute. And, of course, he' absolutely perfect in our eyes! Enjoy the pictures (obviously there are more to come!) Thanks for all your support and excitement as we begin this next adventure!!

3 comments:

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

congratulations you two! how exciting! I love the name you picked :) you're going to make great parents :)

diane rice said...

He is absolutely beautiful! Enjoy these moments, for they grow up way too fast!
love, your Great Aunt Diane

Paulison said...

Hi Adam & Kendra;

Congratulations - Lennon is beautiful! We are glad he arrived before your snow storm - that's amazing how much you have - we have not had snow for weeks. Your house looks really nice too. I know you are both so excited and this is the beginning of a great journey. Take care. Love Jamie & Lisa Paulison