Sunday, June 29, 2014

Tesla Jean's 2nd Birthday!

My parents came out about a week before Tesla's birthday--Lennon had been so excited, that the countdown began about 3 weeks before their visit.  We got to spend Father's Day with them and we celebrated by going to the Yard House for good beers and to watch the World Cup!
I love this one--he's such an amazing Dad and Grandpa--we are all so blessed!!
One of the best dads around!!  I feel so blessed that my kids get to grow up with a great dad and knowing how much he loves them!
Taking a break after playing "Lemon Power." They are so much alike and Lennon is attached to him almost every second of their visit.  They come up with these elaborate games--Lemon Power being the current favorite. According to Lennon it's where an Angry Bird helps hide the Lemon and a different Angry Bird helps the other find it.  "It's not 'hot and cold' but sometimes we have to say that," says Lennon!
We got an early jump on our sewing projects this time.  We worked on Tesla's birthday dress and then my mom was a superstar in altering what seemed like a bazillion pairs of pants for me--I have a whole new wardrobe with pants that actually fit me again!!
Tesla got up before her brother, as she often does, on her birthday, and so she got to enjoy her birthday balloons! Lennon and her often play a running game where they countdown from 3--so she counts like this, "3, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." I asked her how old she was, she answered, "2!" But when I asked her how old she was yesterday, she answered, "3!"
Birthday morning hugs from Brother!
Opening her presents from Auntie Leah, Uncle Drew, and Emery!  She is so much fun when she opens presents--there are a lot of "oohs," "aahs," and "look mamas."
Our patio is in the process of being expanded and it's not done yet, but I wanted to have her family party outside (I tried to make the construction "festive" by hanging balloons!)  Grandma and Papa came over and we had a fun family dinner.  Grandma Cindy bought the Princess table and chairs at the community garage sale, and they enjoyed their "kids" table!
Blowing out her two candles!
As you will see, Tesla was more interested in the bunnies in the grass than with her cupcake!
 We love her so much!!
Tesla is very much into babies and she is loving the babydoll stroller that we gave her:
Loving her presents from Aunt Patti and Grandma and Grandpa!
Playing with her new magnetic number puzzle she got from Grandma and Grandpa.  Among other things, they also got her the Frozen DVD.  I wish I got it on video, because when she opened it enough to see what it was she gave a loud gasp of excitement!
The next day we had her "Ice cream" party at the beach, just like last year.  She was cranky (I feel like they always choose to be cranky for their parties--why is that??)  Here are her Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes--Mom and I spent a lot of time figuring out how high to fill them and then went through the drama of cascading cupcakes.  But I think they turned out cute and the kids seemed to enjoy them.
I don't know where my kids learned to fake sleep, but she decided that she would rather "sleep" than have Happy Birthday sung to her and eat her cupcake!
So much personality in this little girl (what's with the crossed legs?!)
The only smile we got from her at the party--I guess getting her Doritos fix once a year will do that for you!
Hitting her ice cream cone pinata:
Lennon was serious about it!
More babydoll things--she's not excited at all!
Lennon enjoying the party--when did he get so big?!!
After preparing for and cleaning up from all the birthday festivities, we spend the remaining time with my parents hanging out and playing Ticket to Ride (seriously, we played at least one game a day, most of the time more--it's an obsession for Adam and John!) Lennon and Grandpa built their "Bank," as they always do--they take their bank very seriously and it is very well thought out and built.  This time they even built a "cheese factory" to the left of the bank.  It's always a sad day when Lennon has to put it away after they leave.  Both kids had a hard time saying goodbye this time. The day before my parents were leaving, Lennon captured a spider (he's not normally a bug-lover).  I told him he should transfer it to his bug viewer and he did, but when he came to show me we could not find the spider in there.  Lennon was distraught and he told me, fighting back tears, that he was going to remember that spider forever--I knew this extra sensitivity was a reaction to my parents leaving, and he told me that he was really sad that they were leaving.  The next few days after they left, he talked about how much he missed Grandma and Grandpa.  Even Tesla asked where Grandma was the morning after.
The sadness of my parents leaving was broken up by the kids' doctors appointments--Lennon's 5 year and Tesla's 2 year.  Here's where they're at:

Lennon:
36 pounds (50%)
42" tall (45%)

Tesla:
22 pounds (10%)
34" tall (50%)

No comments: